Friday, September 25, 2009

Good old days in the kitchen

If u have never read this book.. u have to! its by Ken and Janice Tate. Its a book about the good old days. its goes back to the time where people brought fresh veggies in from the garden and they r canned, to when saying thank u Lord for all the things you provide for us. It will take u back to the yesturyear.

I found this book looking for a recipe for dandelion jelly. I found way more than that! This book is a wonderful example of the old way. I wasnt around for that time but for some reason or another i feel i should have been.

I never had a chance to make the jelly but God's will I will next year. for those whom thought it sounded interesting.. here is how its done................................


Dandelion jelly:

Pick 1 quart of fresh dandelion blossems. (none that have been exposed to pesticides, etc.) Quickly rinse blossoms with cool waterto remove any insects. Snip off green collars.

Combine cleaned bloosoms in a saucepan with 2 quarts cold water. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 min. set aside to cool.

Srain liquid, pressing petals with fingers to extract juice.

Measure 3 cups dandelion liquid into a saucepan; add 2 tbs lemon juice and 1 package (13/4 oz) sure jell. Bring to a boil.

Add 5 1/2 cups sugar, stiring well. Boil for 2 1/2 min, stiring well. put in jars and seal.

Sounds easy!! If u r anything like me u cant wait to see those lions in ur backyard again so u can make jelly. well, i better go.. Have a wonderful day and may God bless you!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Amy Jo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The recipe for jelly sounds really interesting and so does the book - I'm going to try to find it.

I love your pumpkin border.
Lillian

Anonymous said...

I was able to find a used copy of this book on eBay at a very reasonable price. I can't wait to get it.
Lillian