Tuesday, October 6, 2009

sausage gravy and buttermilk biscuits



I was asked not that long ago what my fav. thing to make was. I realy didnt have to think hard about it, its sausage gravy and biscuits.. I make it for dinner at least three times a mth.. maybe even more at times. I learned how to make gravy a long time ago.. right after my husband and I was married. My father-in -law taught me. He was living with us and he said.. we will not leave this kitchen until u learn.. with a cast iron skillet, oil, flour and water and awhile in the kitchen.. I got it. I was a gravy maker!!! I love gravy! I make gravy every week with potatos or dressing, chicken gravy, beef gravy, pork gravy, milk gravy started with butter (yes I said butter! not the fake stuff ) and my fav.. sausage gravy. I will give u a recipe for it but I will warn you, I dont go by one, Its my own way and measuring is judged by me. As for the biscuits<>

Amy's sausage gravy.....


Fry a pound of bulk sausage in a soup pot. med high heat


after pork is all the way cooked, leave grease, add flour.. if i had to guess..about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup. make sure all the pork is covered with a coding of flour.med HEAT,. when the grease starts to bubble, add milk.. about two cups. then stir and when gravy thickins..add more mil;k about a cup.. do this over until the gravy is the thickness u like. If its to thin..cook it down a little. it will thickin. If that dont work.. mix a tbs. corn starch to 1/4 cup cold water and then add to gravy. this will do the job for ya. The sausage i get is from a country market and the owner makes the sausage himself so all spices are added. if you want to spice up the gravy.. add salt and pepper. maybe a little sage.



Amy's buttermilk biscuits~~~~


2c. all purpose flour~~~~ 1/3c. shortening or lard


1 tbsp. baking powder~~~~~~ 1 full cup butermilk


1 tsp. salt


heat oven 425. combine flour, baking powder and salt in bowl. cot in shortening to make crumbs. add butermilk. mix with fork until dough is moist. knead dough on slightly floured surface. do not roll dough! kinda rub it on the surface..cut with small mouth jelly jar. place on ungrease cookie sheet.bake for about 15 min. after taking them out of oven, brush melted butter on them.


there you have it.. my most fav, thing to cook and eat. Making gravy is like riding a bike..once u learn, u never forget. God Bless you! i hope my recipe is easy to follow.. ~~~~~~~~Amy Jo

1 comment:

BenKern said...

OK, I'm going to try the sausage gravy recipe... one of these days probably later in the week.

I like how you use recipes as a general reference. That's what I do, too.